In order to encourage small and middle-sized companies to file more patent applications, the Japanese government has decided to reduce some official fees relating to filing and maintaining patent applications and patents.
From April 1, 2014 (till March, 2018), the examination fee and annual fee after grant will be reduced for small-sized companies.*
The following fees will be reduced to one third of the normal fee:
For domestic applications
- Fee for examination
- Annual fees after grant (1st to 10th year’s annual fees)
For PCT applications filed in Japanese
- Search fee
- Transmittal fee
- Fee for demand
* Small-sized companies are considered:
- a small size company owned by a sole proprietor with less than 20 employees (less than five employees for trade and service industries),
- a sole business proprietor who has been doing business less than ten years,
- a small legal entity with less than 20 employees (less than five employees for trade and service industries) or
- a legal entity which has been established for less than ten years and whose capital is less than 300,000,000 JPY
If you need more information or have any questions, please contact us at: email@example.com.